Statistics Heading link
The UIC Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science (MSCS) is a top 50, world-ranked research program, which means students receive a Research I-level education and experience at Chicago’s only public research university. MSCS faculty have research interests spanning theoretical computer science, discrete math, combinatorics, numerical analysis, machine learning, and optimization.
The statistics degree program—housed within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS)—is perfect for students planning advanced study in statistics or for a career in the data-oriented applications of math, science, or computer science. The program prepares students for career success in diverse areas such as accounting, actuarial science, auditing, biostatistics, data management, ﬁnancial analysis, hospital administration, pharmaceuticals, and transportation management—just to name a few!
See how other students found their fit below with this major!
Alumni Highlights Heading link
Below is a sample of how UIC alumni have applied their statistics major to a professional path!
- Actuarial Assistant, Allstate Insurance
- Buyer, U.S. Foods
- Digital Marking Reporting Analyst, Quill
- Financial Analyst, Castle Metals
- Product Analyst, North American Company for Life and Health Insurance
- Research Assistant, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Statistics Tutor, University of Illinois at Chicago
Unique Skills and Competencies Heading link
In addition to the foundational set of skills and competencies you will acquire in any liberal arts and science major, there are also unique skills and perspectives you gain from your statistics major. Review the list below to learn more:
- Problem solving in a variety of settings
- Applying logical thinking to real world problems
- Understanding and describing phenomenon that at first might seem random
- Interpreting and analyzing data
- Learning to argue effectively and rigorously
- Familiarity with state of the art computational tools and programming languages
Industry Clusters Heading link
There are many workplace settings, industries, and career areas in which you can apply your major based on your professional interests. Below is a sample list of industry clusters that other statistics majors have transitioned into. What type of setting or career focus appeals to you?
- Actuarial Science
- Banking, Business, and Finance
- Digital Communications
- Engineering and Technology
- Government, International Affairs, and Public Service
- Health Care and Health Systems
- Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations
- Operations Research
- Social Services