Today interning is on most college students' to-do list. Yet, many students might not know what an internship really is, or why an internship experience can be beneficial to their academic and professional development.
The National Society for Experiential Education defines an internship as "a carefully monitored work experience in which an individual has intentional learning goals and reflects actively on what he or she is learning throughout the experience."
Internship Guidelines Heading link
Benefits of Internships Heading link
Companies benefit from internships because:
- They are a great way to bring in talented students to contribute to the organization’s goals and mission.
- Interns provide additional support and increase an organization’s workforce.
- Internships allow experienced professionals the ability to share their skills and cultivate the next generation of leaders in their field.
Students benefit from internship because they provide opportunities to:
- Apply what they have learned in the classroom to a real work experience.
- Find out how to prepare for a career in a certain field.
- Determine an appropriate career path.
- Build a strong resume.
- Develop a network of professional contacts for future opportunities and references.
- Learn which workplace skills they need to develop.
- Find out what to expect when making the transition to a full-time job.